NACAA Communications Awards
To recognize NACAA members who excel in communicating programs and ideas to their clientele.
ELIGIBILITY AND JUDGING CRITERIA
Members of NACAA in good standing with their state association are eligible to enter, including team entry members. Extension editors and/or other paraprofessional Extension Communication specialists are not eligible. Only one entry per class per individual. All classes are open to entries from one or more NACAA members with the exception of Class 2 - published photo, Class 5 - personal column and Class 7 - individual newsletter, which are open to individual entries only. Entries must have been used by member between March 15, of the year prior to the award year and March 15, of the award year.
Entry materials that have already been state, regional, or national winners are not eligible again. First place national winners may not repeat in consecutive years in the same category. Communications Committee State, Regional, and National Chairs are not eligible to participate in this program unless they are one member of a team entry with another person as the primary entrant.
Electronic submission must be made for all 14 categories. However, categories 9 (Video Recordings), 13 (Learning Module/Notebook) and 14 (Bound Book) may require materials being sent (mailed) to State Chair if file is too large to submit electronically or if unavailable in PDF format. Even in these cases there must be an electronic submission of an abstract and entry information. Maximum file size for submissions is 10MB. Refer to NACAA website for directions on submitting entries electronically.
Note: NACAA will do everything possible to safeguard entry materials. However, it is recommended that members duplicate valuable entry materials in case materials are lost.
Each entry must have an abstract. Include members' name, state, and county (team entries should list all NACAA members who contributed to the entry); a short summary that includes objective, purpose (why, when, how, audience, and audience number, and results); and how the entry was prepared (i.e. recorded, edited, printed, or duplicated professionally or by field staff on field office equipment), how distributed and how many were distributed. The abstract should include the member's contribution to the final product. Abstracts for all regional and national winners will be published.
- Audio Recordings - 1 to 15 minute presentation. Recording can be a complete program or segment of a radio program, podcast, etc. to be judged. Member(s) must have been a major contributor to the presentation or conducted the interview(s). In the abstract, indicate date and time(s) used, station(s) where program aired and where recorded (agent's office, station, etc.). Submit electronic entries using MP3 file or provide link (URL) in the abstract where recording is located on the web. 10 MB maximum file size.
- Published Photo & Caption - One or more black and white or colored photos taken by member which tell a story. Include a scan of the clipping containing the photo (JPEG or PDF); cutline and story, if used (PDF). Also, submit the original photo in JPEG format. Pictures should be at least 1024x768 pixels. Only photo and caption will be judged. 10 MB maximum file size for each file.
- Computer Generated Graphics Presentation With Script - Maximum of 50 slides up to 15 minutes in length or if longer, entrant must designate portion of set to be judged by indicating that portion on the script. Upload in PowerPoint or PDF format. Presentations created with Adobe Presenter, web conferencing or similar software and published online as recordings should be submitted under this category. Include the URL in the abstract. 10 MB maximum file size.
- Program Promotional Piece - One short promotional item used to advertise a program or event and/or alert the reader to an important current issue. It should create awareness and call for action. In the abstract, indicate audience to whom the item was sent and the number distributed as well as results of number registered. 10 MB maximum file size in PDF format.
- Personal Column - Submit PDFs of original copy for two columns for two different dates. Also submit scanned copies of the final published articles. 10 MB maximum file size for each.
- Feature Story - Submit PDF of original copy of one article. Also submit scanned copy of the final published article.
- Newsletter, Individual - Submit PDFs of two issues of a newsletter written by a member that is informal and personal. It may contain several unrelated topics. In the abstract, indicate audience to whom newsletter was sent and the number distributed and how distributed.
- Newsletter, Team - Submit PDFs of two different issues of a newsletter written by one or more members. Non-members may be a part of a team entry (i.e. NRCS). Entry may be a portion of a multi-county, area extension newsletter or multi-agency newsletter. In the abstract, indicate audience to whom newsletter was sent and the number distributed and how distributed.
- Video Recordings - One presentation that one or more members contributed to or produced, not over 15 minutes long. It can be a segment of a longer program. Abstract must be submitted electronically with video being mailed to State Chair by deadline as DVD if too large to upload/download. In the abstract, indicate audience, purpose and how the presentation was used. In the abstract, provide link (URL) where video is located on the web (i.e. YouTube) or upload an MP4 file. 10 MB maximum file size for uploaded files.
- Fact Sheet - An educational piece on a single subject produced on a single sheet of paper (size and format unspecified). In the abstract, indicate audience, purpose and number distributed. Submit as PDF or include URL in the abstract. 10 MB maximum file size.
- Publication - An educational publication on one or more subjects that is more extensive than class 10 - Fact Sheet. Publication may be a fact sheet that is more than one page or a bulletin. In the abstract, indicate intended audience, purpose and number distributed, agent/educator.s role in the development, writing and production. Submit as PDF or include URL in the abstract. 10 MB maximum file size for uploaded files.
- Website/Online Content - Entry will consist of abstract and URL address for the website/online content. If site is password protected, be sure to include access credentials. Person submitting should be the person primarily responsible for content, design and maintenance of the site/online content. Examples of online content include wikis, blogs, social media sites, etc.
- Learning Module/Notebook (includes either a notebook form learning module or online learning module) - Entry will consist of total materials written and compiled as learning/teaching aids for specific Extension Programs, (i.e. Master Gardener Notebook). Entry materials can be of several media (print, audio, video, etc.). Significant portions of the entry material should be the work of the entrant(s). The abstract must be submitted electronically with the module/notebook being mailed to State Chair by deadline if electronic version is unavailable online or if file is too large to submit electronically (10MB). If available online, indicate the URL in the abstract.
- Bound Book - The entry will consist of a bound book on one or more subjects that is more extensive than 11 - Publication. The primary author must be a member in good standing. In the abstract, indicate the intended audience, purpose, number printed and the agent/educator's role in the development, writing and production of the book. The abstract must be submitted electronically with the bound book being mailed to State Chair by deadline if electronic version is unavailable online or if file is too large to submit electronically (10MB). If the book is available online, indicate the URL in the abstract.
Awards in each of the fourteen (14) categories are as follows:
- National Category Winner - Plaque and cash if donor available.
- 3 National Category Finalists - Plaque and cash if donor available.
- 8 Regional Category Finalists - Certificate
- State Category Winners - Certificate
Donors are being solicited for these awards. If adequate donor funds are secured, the National Winner will receive up to $500; and three National Finalists up to $250. These cash awards are not cumulative. The Executive Program Committee reserves the right to adjust awards based on the availability of donor funds.
NOTE: First place National Winner and all National Finalists must register and attend AM/PIC to receive award. National winners are expected to prepare a poster display of their award winning entry for the AM/PIC.
In the event of a team winning entry, one cash prize will be given in the amount indicated along with an appropriate certificate/plaque to each NACAA member.
Completed entry must be posted to the NACAA website by March 15 and any support material in the Video, Learning Module/Notebook and Bound Book classes that could not be submitted electronically must be in possession of your Communications Committee State Chair by March 15.
State Chairs must have winning entries selected/approved on the NACAA website by April 1. Regional Vice Chairs must have Regional Finalists selected/approved on the NACAA website by April 15.