FARM BUSINESS MANAGEMENT EDUCATOR
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Albany County
Location: HUDSON FALLS, NY
Application Deadline: 2022-07-05
Farm Business Management Educator – Hudson Falls, NY
Since 1916, Cornell Cooperative Extension Albany County has responded to the needs of local residents with unbiased, research-based information, tools and education that people have come to depend on and trust. Our programs are developed in direct response to community input, and are based on the most current information available from Cornell and other Land Grant universities from across the nation.
Serve as a team member on the Capital Area Agricultural and Horticultural Program (CAAHP) team. Plan, design, implement and evaluate educational and applied research programs for commercial farms that have been in business for greater than ten years. Provides education and technical assistance to commercial farms in financial analysis, enterprise analysis, labor- management and regulations, and farm transfers. Conduct Extension education programs utilizing a variety of informal education methodologies. Make connections between Cornell and other land grant/research institutions, farmers, and producers in the six-county region (Albany, Columbia, Greene, Rensselaer, Schenectady and Washington counties).
The educator holding this position will also assist with designing and implementing the advisory structure for the farm management program. Develop alternate areas of expertise based on program needs in the region, interests, and abilities. Provide regional leadership and technical backup to others regarding (but not limited to) tax planning, farm succession, and interpretation of financial statements.
This position will require the use of multiple delivery methods, and the individual employed must have the ability to manage various projects.
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Albany County http://albany.cce.cornell.edu/
- Master's Degree in a field appropriate to the position including agricultural economics/farm management and a minimum of four years related experience. A PhD may substitute for 2 years’ experience.
- Ability to meet the frequent travel requirements associated with this position. A valid NYS driver's license with the ability to drive and driving record acceptable for Association insurance coverage are required.
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Commitment to helping ensure diverse, equitable, and inclusive programs.
- Program Skills – Demonstrated knowledge of the principles, theory, and application of current research and practice in farm business management. Ability to effectively assess, develop, deliver and evaluate regional programs. Ability to serve as a subject matter expert for constituents, the public, and governmental offices to develop and influence programs and policy. Ability to effectively participate in professional team efforts and to work with and support volunteer leadership and advisory committees.
- Administrative & Management Skills – Ability to provide direction and oversight to regional agriculture programs. Ability to exercise frequent discretion and independent judgment in managing programs. Ability to oversee budgets, identify and secure funding that supports programs including sponsorships, grant writing, developing public and private partnerships.
- Communication & Marketing Skills - Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with the public, governmental offices, program participants, employees, and others. Ability to generate a credible media presence in the community. Ability to effectively market program through social, print and other media, resulting in robust program participation. Ability to relate effectively to co-workers, advisors, community and professional leaders.
- Technology Skills - Proficiency or ability to learn and effectively use software including use of the internet, program-related software, and Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Excel. Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies to conduct effective educational activities.
- Work Environment – In addition to the Working Conditions; the work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions. This position works in a typical office environment. In addition, the position frequently lifts, moves, or transports program-related materials and equipment. The position regularly works in agricultural and outdoor weather conditions including extreme heat, precipitation, and cold.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in farm business management.
- Coursework in research methodology, education, and management experience is highly preferred.
This is a full time, exempt position. Compensation paid at the rate of $58,000 annually. Excellent benefits, based on eligibility, including:
·Paid time off: 21 Vacation days, 14 Holidays, 3 Personal days and 12 Sick days annually – plenty of time for work/life balance!
- NYS Health Insurance Program (including FREE Dental Insurance)
- NYS Retirement (NYSERS)
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Total Care Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Voluntary Tax Deferred Annuity Plan
- Voluntary Flexible Spending Accounts
- Voluntary Group Universal Life Insurance
- Voluntary Personal Accidental Insurance
- Voluntary Legal Plan Insurance
- Voluntary Long Term Care Insurance
- Voluntary Auto and Homeowner’s Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Voluntary New York’s College Savings Program
- ClearPoint Credit Counseling Solutions
NYS CAPITAL REGION – A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE & WORK.
Albany County is located in the upper Hudson Valley/Capital District of New York State within a few hours’ drive of New York City, Boston and Montreal. On the southern edge of the Adirondacks and not far from the Berkshires in Massachusetts and the Hudson Valley, living in the Capital Region has something for everyone. Farming, hiking, fishing, skiing, arts, dining, nightlife, and music festivals abound in the region. And, you’re never far from a fun weekend day trip to the mountains or a few hours’ drive to the coast for some sunny New England beaches.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED ON-LINE BY JULY 5, 2022. Position closing dates may change based on Association needs.
TO APPLY & FOR FURTHER DETAILS: HTTPS://CORNELL.WD1.MYWORKDAYJOBS.COM/CCECAREERPAGE/JOB/NEW-YORK-STATE- OTHER/CCE-OF-ALBANY-COUNTY-REGIONAL-FARM-BUSINESS-MANAGEMENT-EDUCATOR--- HUDSON-FALLS--NY_WDR-00031820
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate governmental agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University. Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are supportive of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.