Assistant University Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development
University of Wyoming
Location: Lincoln County, Kemmerer, Wyoming
Application Deadline: 2022-05-22
Assistant University Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development—Lincoln County, Kemmerer, Wyoming
The population of Lincoln County is 19,581. Kemmerer, the county seat, has a population of 2,747.
The county is a study of contrasts from snow-capped mountains and high plateaus in the north Star Valley area to vast prairie lands in the south and the Red Desert Basin. Kemmerer is known as the “Fossil Fish Capital of the World” and the “Gateway to the West”.
Lincoln County offers a wide variety of year-round activities including camping, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, skiing, and horseback riding. The JC Penney chain was founded in Kemmerer in 1902; the original store is still a thriving retail outlet.
Assistant University Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development, serving Lincoln County, Kemmerer, WY. Position #4205, Job ID# 220525
LEVEL & SALARY
Assistant University Extension Educator, subject to annual reappointment and contingent upon availability of funds. Actual salary commensurate with education and experience.
This position is based in Kemmerer, Wyoming, serving the communities in Lincoln County.
This position provides educational programs in the area of 4-H Youth Development in Lincoln County; provides leadership for traditional and non-traditional 4-H and youth programs; and supports general Extension functions in Lincoln County. Lincoln County’s 4-H program has approximately 377 members and 63 volunteer leaders.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The individual in this position works as a representative of the University of Wyoming (UW) in the delivery of a comprehensive 4-H youth development program in conjunction with the full-time 4-H Educator in Lincoln County and under the supervision of the associate director. This function is realized through existing and new youth clubs, school enrichment activities, and other educational programming. This position is also responsible for the management and coordination of the county-owned arena facilities in Kemmerer. Duties include:
- Implement educational programs, policies, materials, and activities as part of the overall efforts of the Wyoming 4-H program and the identified needs of Lincoln County clientele.
- Management and oversight of the South Lincoln County Arena which includes application processing, rental contracts, fee collection, equipment rental, overseeing repairs/ upgrades, and handling disciplinary actions associated with the community barn, green houses, and livestock arena.
- Coordinate with the Lincoln County Board of Commissioners and Lincoln County Attorney on all management issues pertaining to arena management.
- Pursue grants and other funding sources for continued upgrades for the South Lincoln County Arena.
- Organize, coordinate, and support participation in 4-H events, camps, clinics, contests, and fairs.
- Provide leadership in recruiting, training, and retention of adult volunteers.
- Provide leadership in recruiting and retaining youth members in clubs.
- Provide leadership and support to 4-H Clubs, 4-H Councils, and project committees.
- Provide information to volunteers, youth, and parents regarding educational opportunities through the use of e-mail, social media, applications, and print communication formats.
- Foster relationships and develop partnerships with other youth serving groups, schools, or organizations.
- Coordinate registration, supervision, and transportation for participants in 4-H related events held in other counties, across the state, or out of state.
- Implement program evaluation, documentation, and reporting.
- Provide administrative oversight to financial and fundraising efforts involving 4-H youth and volunteers.
- Foster a culture of positive youth development in all 4-H programming efforts.
- Contribute to various teams including county office, multi-county area, state 4-H initiative, youth issues, and other UW Extension initiative teams.
- A valid driver’s license and serviceable/insured vehicle.
- The ability to participate in physically active educational experiences. PLEASE NOTE: Duties of this position often include physical activities associated with experiential learning. The University of Wyoming is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer and employees with disabilities may request reasonable accommodations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (REQUIRED)
- An earned bachelor’s degree with academic training and/or professional experience relevant to the responsibilities of the position.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrated prior 4-H experience.
- Knowledge of positive youth development principles and teaching methods.
- Demonstrated skills and abilities to organize and facilitate educational programs and activities such as; contests, workshops, camps, and/or fairs as part of the 4-H program.
- Experience recruiting, training, and managing adult volunteers.
- Academic training and/or experience to support mastery of specific 4-H projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of educational program development, implementation and evaluation.
- Experience teaching youth and adult audiences.
- Excellence in ability to communicate orally and in writing. Evidence documented through application materials and experience.
- Experience in developing partnerships with other youth serving organizations and fostering positive relationships with community stakeholders.
- Demonstrated teamwork.
- Experience with underserved and/or diverse youth audiences.
- Knowledge of Extension and the land-grant university system.
- Knowledge of and appreciation for rural and agricultural communities.
APPROXIMATE TIME DISTRIBUTION
- 4-H and Youth Development — 50%
- Management and oversight of the South Lincoln County Arena area — 50%
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Completed online UW application
- Detailed letter of intent specifically addressing qualifications relative to the responsibilities and qualifications of the position
- Current resume/curriculum vitae
- Copies of all college transcripts; official transcripts required at time of hiring.
- Four (4) letters of reference from individuals who can address your professional qualifications.
FOR APPLICATION INFORMATION, QUESTIONS ON TRANSCRIPTS OR REFERENCE LETTERS, CONTACT:
Ann Roberson, Business Manager, University of Wyoming Extension 1000 E. University Ave., Dept. #3354, Laramie, WY 82071
Phone: (307) 766-3566; Email: email@example.com
FOR SPECIFIC POSITION INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Bridger Fuez, Interim Associate Director, University of Wyoming Extension Phone: (307) 799-8740; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about Extension work, see the online Western Regional Program Leaders Committee (WRPLC) modules at http://wrpl.cahnrs.wsu.edu.
Link to the position through the University of Wyoming’s job portal: https://eeik.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/ CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/job/220525
To assure full consideration, all application materials must be received by May 22, 2022. Screening will continue until a suitable candidate is identified.
UW is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position, please call (307) 766-2377 or email email@example.com.