EXTENSION EDUCATOR, ASST - UW EXTENSION, CONVERSE COUNTY
University of Wyoming
Location: Douglas, WY
Application Deadline: 2023-06-12
Extension Educator, Asst - UW Extension, Converse County
Douglas, WY, United States
BE THE FIRST TO APPLY
The University of Wyoming invites diverse applicants to consider our employment opportunities. We are also especially interested in candidates who have experience working with diverse populations and/or diverse initiatives.
Assistant University Extension Educator - Agriculture and Natural Resources: Serving Converse County, Wyoming.
Agriculture and Natural Resource Extension Educators are part of the University’s educational outreach system. In keeping with the University’s status as a land-grant institution, Extension Educators form an essential link between the people of Wyoming and the teaching, research, and service missions of the University. The primary function of these employees is to provide non-credit education to an off-campus clientele. Extension Educators provide Wyoming youth, adults, and communities with life-long learning opportunities, especially through the application of research-supported information and leadership skills in the areas of agriculture and natural resources.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The individual in this position works as a representative of the University of Wyoming (UW) and fosters a productive relationship with elected officials and other stakeholders in Converse County. Primary duties include but are not limited to:
- Implement an appropriate strategy to assess educational needs of clientele in the program area of Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR).
- Design, deliver, and evaluate comprehensive educational programs addressing ANR needs in Converse County.
- Work closely with agricultural producers, agri-business, community leaders, and appropriate specialists to develop responsive, relevant, and impactful educational programs.
- Contribute to the 4-H Youth Development program in Converse County.
- Support the general Extension operations in Converse County which may include community horticulture, Master Gardener programs, student recruiting, and cooperation with other UW programs serving Converse County.
- Ability to participate in some overnight travel, evening, and weekend work.
PRIMARY CLIENTELE SERVED BY THIS POSITION:
- Individuals, organizations, and business enterprises engaged in agricultural and natural resource issues in Wyoming. This includes owners/operators of farms, ranches, rural non-farm residents, and small acreage agriculture producers.
- State agriculture, wildlife, natural resource, and environmental regulatory agencies.
- Federal agriculture, natural resource, and wildlife management agencies such as Natural Resource Conservation Service, Bureau of Land Management, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Forest Service, and others.
- Youth and adults engaged in 4-H programs.
- Homeowners and other community members with horticulture interests.
REMOTE WORK ELIGIBILITY:
This position provides vital support to support UW Extension clientele and requires the successful candidate be available to work in the local Converse County Extension Office.
- An earned Master’s degree in animal science, agricultural economics, agronomy, soil science, natural resources, or cognate field related to the management of agriculture and natural resources from an accredited college or university.
- Valid driver's license with a motor vehicle record (MVR) that is compliant with the University Vehicle Use Policy.
- Demonstrated expertise in agricultural production and/or the management of natural resources.
- Experience in developing and implementing community-based educational programs in Agriculture & Natural Resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the natural resources and agricultural enterprises in this area of Wyoming.
- Prior Extension experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop impactful educational outputs in subjects such as: forages, rangeland beef/sheep production, weed management, horticulture, and grazing management.
- Excellence in ability to communicate orally and in writing. Evidence documented through application materials and experience.
- Training and/or experience teaching youth and adult audiences.
- Experience in audience needs identification and program results evaluation.
- Experience in working with diverse audiences.
- Experience in developing partnerships with other organizations/agencies and fostering positive relationships with community stakeholders.
- A commitment to travel and work in remote areas and rural counties in Wyoming.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Extension and the land-grant university system.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and appreciation for rural and agricultural communities.
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited supervision.
- Demonstrated teamwork.
- Experience in planning and implementing applied research activities.
- Completed UW application
- A detailed letter of intent which specifically addresses your qualifications relative to the responsibilities and essential duties of the position including developing a comprehensive educational program on ANR to serve the communities in Converse County, Wyoming.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Copies of all college transcripts; official transcripts required at time of hiring.
- Contact information for 4 individuals who can address your professional qualifications
This position will remain open until filled. Complete applications received by 5/4/2023 will receive full consideration.
FOR APPLICATION INFORMATION, QUESTIONS ON TRANSCRIPTS OR REFERENCE LETTERS, CONTACT:
Ann Roberson, Business Manager, University of Wyoming Extension
Phone: (307) 766-3566; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR SPECIFIC POSITION INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Bridger Feuz, Associate Director, University of Wyoming Extension
Phone: (307) 766-5124; Email: email@example.com
To learn more about Extension work, see the online WRPLC modules at http://wrpl.cahnrs.wsu.edu.
UW is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position, please call 307-766-2377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Converse County is located in the eastern region of Wyoming, with an area of 4,265 square miles and a population of 13,672. This position will be based in Douglas, Wyoming. Douglas, the county seat, is located along the banks of the North Platte River on the Oregon Trail. Today, Douglas has a population of 6,351 and a diversified economy and cutting-edge communications. The principal economic activities in the county are ranching, coal and oil production, and tourism. During the month of August, the Wyoming State Fair brings visitors from all over the state to Douglas. https://www.cityofdouglas.org/
- Job Identification230879
- Posting Date04/05/2023, 06:04 PM
- Job ScheduleFull time
- Locations Douglas, WY, United States
- Schedule (Hours Per Week)40
- TravelYes, 20%